Determine identity or post a record
There are a number of online sites from which an identification may be obtained if you post the image. Success largely depends upon how large a community regularly check such sites.
They can be broadly divided into two types based upon what you know about the identity of your material: "haven't a clue" (hc) and "got a good idea" (ggi)
Post on the emboldened sites to ensure your record gets used for scientific research & conservation
- iSpot (hc + ggi) good community overall but not specialised in Diptera
- iNaturalist (ggi) strong community, postings are soon found by expert identifiers
- Social media sites - there will undoubtedly be several across the world which are devoted to Diptera.
- Dipterists Forum's Facebook pages seem to be attracting a number of international enquiries (hc)
- The European Diptera site Diptera.info attracts contributors from all over Europe and is a good place to post information or make identification requests (hc + ggi).
- Dipterists Forum Forum (hc + ggi)
- UK Biological Records Centre's iRecord, used when identifications are reasonably certain (ggi)
- This scheme's bulletin board Scheme Forum. - community currently tiny, use for messages
- Social media sites (this scheme doesn't subscribe, please repost on some other system)
- Twitter (Dipterists Forum) - please repost on some other system if you obtain an identification
France: Le Mondes des Insectes
There are others, Danish, Finnish, Dutch, Italian etc. but their purpose is difficult to determine for non-linguists. Please contact me if there are any that need to be added.